Kristin’s 4th of July Sangria
“It’s the brandy that makes it so good” claims Kristin. Here’s her tried and true recipe for Sangria (which I tested tonight just to make sure). She’s right. It is good — almost too easy to slurp down. Although the recipe calls for peaches and cherries, I used apricots and cherries plus threw in some Sylvan berries from WillowWind and some raspberries from Solstice.
- 1 bottle of delicious hearty Red Wine (like Rivarey Tempranillo on sale now for $7.99!)
- 1/4 c Triple Sec
- 1/2 c Brandy
- Juice of 1 Orange
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 Peach
- 10-20 Cherries
- 1/4-1/2 c organic Cane Sugar
- Ice Cubes
- Club Soda
- Pit cherries and soak in 1/4 c brandy.
- Slice peach and soak in 1/4 c brandy and the 1/4 c Triple Sec.
- Juice lemon and orange and add to a beautiful summer pitcher.
- Add sugar (start with 1/4 c and add more to taste after adding wine and fruit).
- Add fruit, brandy, Triple Sec, and wine to the pitcher.
- Mix and chill for an hour or so.
- Serving suggestion: Fill glass 1/3 full with ice. Pour alcohol/fruit mixture over the ice and top with club soda to taste.
Kristin also asked that I mention 3 of the wines she is carrying with summer in mind, all of them <$10/bottle!
- Vidigal Vinho Verde – A lovely fresh crisp dry white wine from Portugal with a slight natural fizz to make for refreshing sipping on a hot summer evening. Add a couple raspberries for a hint of flavor from a luscious summer fruit. $9.49
- Olivaris Jumilla Rose – A Spanish style rose. A Bold cheerful wine tasting of strawberry and herbs. A great multi-tasker served solo on the patio or sipped along side your favorite cheese plate with friends. $8.99
- Rivarey Tempranillo – A tasty red paired with Chimacum Valley BBQ meat. Perfect for Sangria! Regularly $9.99, on special for $7.99